I get asked about fish oil omega 3 supplements a lot in the office. I personally think the supplement is a great daily adjunct to a healthy diet.
Omega-3 fatty acids have many benefits, there are rarely nutrients that pack this many positive health outcomes into one compound. Omega 3 fatty acid benefits include:
- A reduced risk of heart disease
- Healthy fetal development
- Eye health, reducing dryness and improving retinal and macular health
- Weight management
- Supports mental health
- Helps with cognitive function
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves joint mobility
- Helps support the body with autoimmune disease
- May reduce cancer risk
- Helps reduce dry skin and hair.
My preference for a supplement in the office is a fish oil that is enteric coated, with many other properties. I really like it for clients who have trouble digesting fats, suffer from inflammation and autoimmune diseases. It has more power to act as an anti inflammatory than typical oils on the market. Have a look at this video on its properties: